This pack provides a set of materials that will help students before and during their move to secondary school. Using the resources will provide many discussion points, and opportunities for supporting the students’ varied concerns regarding their transition to secondary school.
Secondary School Readiness contains eight topics that can be covered during the final year of primary school. It includes practical activities around situations that a child may encounter during their first weeks in secondary school.
This pack can be used for all Year 6 children but will be particularly useful for those who need additional support with transition, either due to additional educational need and/or anxiety.
Suitable for use as a 1:1, small group or large classroom resource. Also appropriate for parents who wish to support their children through the transition from primary to secondary school.
How do I feel about secondary school?
Am I ready?
- What do I need for a good day at school?
- How can I remember what to bring to school? What do I need to be ready for school?
- How do I get to school?
- What words do I need to know to understand my timetable?
- What might my timetable look like?
- How do I help myself to understand my timetable?
- How do I pack my bag, ready for the next day?
Where am I going?
- What should I do if I get lost?
- What does my school look like?
- Time to visit my new school and take some pictures!
- Time to start my Transition Book!
- Who will help me when I get lost?
What if my work gets tricky?
- What could I do if I don’t understand the work in class?
- What will I do if I don’t understand my homework?
- What do I do if I forget to take my homework to school?
How do I meet new people?
- How do I chat to someone new? Conversation is like a game of tennis!
- How can I meet people who are interested in the same things as me?
- What happens if I find break time difficult?
I AM READY!
- Time to see my new school again!
- Now I’m ready!
I AM READY to tell my new teachers about me!
- What do I want teachers to know about me?
Format: PDF file, 4 pages of introduction. Eight chapters each with instructions and colour activities (57 Pages), 36 pages of repeat black and white illustrations included for economy of printing, Available as a download, 98 pages, 8.5 MB or on CD.