Therapists and teachers are familiar with the idea of using visual strategies to support children with learning difficulties, communication needs and/or those with Autistic Spectrum Disorder. This pack, Practical Pragmatics, by Bec Shanks provides new, practical ideas that can be used in everyday settings in school or at home. Bec Shanks’ ideas have been used extensively in therapy sessions and in the classroom with great success.
Suitable for a wide age and ability range.
Practical Pragmatics consists of four sections, each with clear instructions and examples:
- Emotions/Feelometer – a comprehensive set of games and work sheets to develop the vocabulary and understanding of emotions.
- Behaviour Tool kit – a fun, visual kit that can be personalised for a variety of targets.
- Conversational Planner – a formalised process to prepare and support the child to achieve their behavioural or communication targets.
- Magic Circle – a visual strategy to help children ‘break out’ of repetitive behaviours that cause conflict or distress.
- Games and practical visual strategies for teachers and therapists to use with children who have behavioural and/or communication difficulties. Instructions and examples are provided.
Aims: To help children recognise and manage their emotions; to rehearse and prepare for conversation; to break the cycle of repetitive challenging behaviour.
Age Range: 6yrs. – 11yrs.+. KS1 – KS2+.
Curriculum Targets: P scales; KS2 PSHE.
Format: PDF file, 5 pages of instructions, 33 pages of exercises. Available as a download, 975 KB or on CD.