Advanced Prepositions, offers a fully illustrated pack of activities which focus on the understanding and use of later developing prepositions, including over/among/against/between/through/towards and many others. It aims to develop the understanding and use of later developing prepositions for children aged 6–11 years.
Most children learn the rules of their language at an early age, simply by being exposed to the language they hear around them, and with no need for formal instruction. Children who exhibit difficulties with receptive and expressive language development often fail to enrich their vocabulary and it is very evident that they struggle to use appropriate words to describe locations, both in their discourse and in their written accounts. This new resource, Advanced Prepositions, offers a fully illustrated pack of activities which focus on the understanding and use of later developing prepositions. For the teaching of early prepositions: in/on/under/in front of/behind, see our popular pack Prepositions (LIP2)
The worksheets in this pack consist of:
- Eight pages of background, introduction and instructions.
- Fifteen Advanced Preposition activity pages, each illustrating one character or object in a variety of locations. For example, the boy is walking along, the cat is sitting under and so on. Included on each page is a writing activity for older children, who are asked to fill in the missing word in the sentences provided on the sheet. However, this is an optional activity and can be omitted where appropriate.
- Five pages of illustrated problems to solve. These provide more functional, speaking activities, which offer opportunities for the child to use a wide range of prepositions during discussions with the adult.
- A map which will be used as a talking activity to construct routes around the town. The map contains a number of significant locations which include: a supermarket; a park; mountains; the seaside; a clock tower; a row of houses; a school; a bus stop; a bridge; a tunnel; a river.
- Black and white duplicate pictures.
Age: 6–11 years
Format: PDF file, Available as a download, 32.7 MB or on CD.